The National Centre for Social Research (NatCen) recognises the importance of environmental protection and is committed to operating responsibly and in fulfilment of applicable compliance obligations. It is the NatCen’s declared policy to operate with and to maintain good relations with relevant regulatory bodies.
NatCen’s objective is to carry out all necessary activities, to protect the environment and to continually improve the Environmental Management System through the implementation of the following:
- Assess and regularly re-assess the environmental effects of NatCen’s activities
- Training of employees in environmental issues
- Minimise the production of waste
- Minimise material wastage
- Minimise energy wastage
- Promote the use of recyclable and renewable materials
- Minimise pollution in all its forms
- Control noise emissions from operations
- Minimise the risk to the general public and employees from operations and activities undertaken by NatCen.
Top management demonstrates leadership and commitment with respect to the Environmental Management System by:
- Taking accountability for the effectiveness of the Environmental Management System
- Ensuring that the Environmental Policy and Environmental Objectives are established and are compatible with the strategic direction and the context of NatCen
- Ensuring the integration of the Environmental Management System requirements into NatCen’s business processes
- Ensuring that the resources needed for the Environmental Management System are available
- Communicating the importance of effective environmental management and of conforming to the Environmental Management System requirements
- Ensuring that the Environmental Management System achieves its intended outcomes
- Directing and supporting persons to contribute to the effectiveness of the Environmental Management System
- Promoting continual improvement
- Supporting other relevant management roles to demonstrate their leadership as it applies to their areas of responsibility
The Environmental Policy is communicated to all employees, external providers and other interested parties and is regularly reviewed in order to ensure its continuing suitability. NatCen is committed to achieving Net Zero emissions by 2050.